Twitter troll likely to be arrested
The person behind an anonymous Twitter handle that harassed journalist Swati Chaturvedi may be arrested soon as the Delhi Police have narrowed down on the suspect, sources claimed. Senior police officers associated with the probe, however, said the investigation was still on, and insisted that they were yet to identify the culprit. Sources said the police had traced the account, but chose to remain silent because they were yet to receive a confirmation on the IP address from Twitter. To hold up in court, the account information has to be provided by Twitter.
“Only the administrator can give us the IP address. We have sent multiple notices to Twitter, most recently on Thursday. We have also sent summons under Section 91 of the Criminal Procedure Code to Twitter India’s offices, including the systems’ office in Delhi,” said Prem Nath, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South Delhi). He said that the social media company has not responded so far.
In the first case against an anonymous online troll, an FIR was filed against the operator of the account @LutyensInsider for stalking under Section 354 (D) of the Indian Penal Code. Ms. Chaturvedi’s complaint to the police detailed the ‘sexist remarks’ made by the account. Though Twitter eventually suspended the account, it had over 40,000 followers at the time of the FIR. The person behind it claimed to be a journalist covering politics, and usually posted gossip and inside information from the corridors of power.
According to sources, the accused is a print journalist working for an English-language media organisation. That the account was being operated from Delhi has also been reliably learnt.
Tired of the delay in tracking down the accused, Ms. Chaturvedi wrote to Delhi Police Commissioner B.S. Bassi on August 21 and September 2.
She said that she has been informed that an arrest is imminent, but police officers have refused to comment on that. “If the person is not arrested soon, I will not hesitate to take the matter to the court or to the National Commission for Women. This is the first case of its kind, there needs to be some conclusion,” said Ms. Chaturvedi. Ironically, Ms. Chaturvedi received a fresh barrage of abusive comments on Wednesday when she tweeted that the police had assured her of an arrest in the case soon. “I received 10 rape threats,” she told The Hindu on Thursday. (साभार- द हिंदू)
पत्रकार स्वाति चतुर्वेदी ने एक ट्वीट करके क्या कहा है सभी से, जानने के लिए नीचे लिखे आ रहे 3 या Next पर क्लिक करें>>