New Delhi : Major Hindi News Channel India TV suffered a setback in an ongoing case filed against its former News Director QW Naqvi. India TV had filed a legal suit in the Delhi High Court demanding Rs 30 lakhs from Naqvi when he resigned in protest after a controversial interview of Narendra Modi was aired before Lok sabha polls last year. IndiaTV headed by Rajat Sharma filed suit demanding Naqvi either to serve a three month notice period or pay 30 lakhs. Monday’s order of the High Court has come as setback for Rajat Sharma as arbitators were changed.
Naqvi’s resigning over Modi interview snowballed into controversy.Naqvi’s step had raised serious questions over the selection of content in news organizations during polls and also pointed out doubts over editorial motives. The timing of Naqvi’s resignation created a furore inside and outside media industry and also raised serious concerns over Sharma’s channel’s credibility.Naqvi a former head of Aajtak channel is regarded as a senior hindi journalist having a hold on language.
India TV, which initially accepted the resignation, asked Naqvi to serve a notice period of three months, failing which the channel filed a legal suit. The suit demanded Naqvi either to serve a three month notice period or pay the money i.e. thirty lakh.
Speaking to media, Naqvi’s counsel Gopal Shankarnarayanan said, “His resignation was result of serious editorial differences.” In one of the two hearings related to the matter, the Delhi HC replaced the arbitrator Justice Poonam Srivastva (requested by India TV) with Justice CK Mahajan, to which both parties had agreed.
“Eight of the nine prayers by Mr Sharma’s channel have been disposed by the honourable court. The last prayers seek a stay on Mr Naqvi from making any defamatory statements against his former organization. Though, it does not carry any major legal weightage but we have conceded to this prayer,“ said Narayanan.
वरिष्ठ पत्रकार दीपक शर्मा के न्यूज पोर्टल ‘इंडिया संवाद‘ से साभार.